This was a pretty challenging dress to make but the instructions were pretty spot-on. I made a few changes to the design. The original has two layers in the peplum, but I didnt have enough fabric so just went with the top layer.In hindsight it was just as well, my fabric was thicker than the reccommended taffeta, and the layers might have been a struggle to sew through
I made this from a cotton sateen (grid pattern fabric ) and a teal satin. The front is made with a strapless bodice, and waistcoat overlay, which is then joined to the back. The inside view is below.
There were alot of layers in the peplum section, and I didn't have enough interfacing, so I used a few layers of tulle netting between the lining and main fabric.
|Tulle used to give body to the peplum sections|
The waistband is cleverly constructed - it has horizontal pleats, which mean that all the bulk for the peplum layers are hidden underneath.
|Inside Waistband - showing pleats opening (pink fabric is skirt underlining)|
The only problem was that the pleats were opening slightly, and although I hadn't stitched on the bow yet, I wanted to be sure that it wouldn't start opening when being worn. So I stitched through the inside pleat in a zig-zag pattern - as the band is cut on the bias, it means that my stitching is on the straight grain, so shouldn't effect the stretch in the band.
Then all that was left was to put in the zip and attach the front folded bow. Although when I finished it I realised it would need a little tweaking under the peplum!