Friday, 6 January 2012

Ruby Slip - Finished

I finished my Ruby Slip when I had a few spare minutes the other day.
It was not easy to photograph though - that fabric does not like a flash, thats for sure!
And as for going out for some daylight - it's been pretty dull around here and blowing a gale too, so these are the best I could do! 




My mannequin is probably due for retirement soon - it leans to one side every now and again as if to prove just how worn out and over-worked it is!!


So overall, it was a lovely pattern to work with, and if I was to make another (and there's a good chance I will!). Then I would sew the lace trim onto the end and stitch the seam towards the skirt, rather than doing a rolled hem, as I ended up adding the lace trim anyway, so I could have skipped the hemming of this badly behaved fabric!

Custom Clutch


Here's a few pics of a Custom clutch I made before Christmas :



It's a foldover style clutch made using the same pattern as these ones over here Grape Clutch







You can just about make out the little coin purse in the background that I made to go with it

Here's the dress it was to be worn with:


Wednesday, 4 January 2012

Ruby Slip part 2

I'm almost finished my Ruby slip, and will hopefully get it sorted tomorrow. I just thought I'd share some pictures of my hem.  I should start by saying I used a very cheap slinky satin, that I normally use for lining graments. But it matched my lace really well, and I wanted to make this first slip from fabric I already owned. It looked good hanging on the mannequin after sewing the side seams, but it was stretching alot when I machine-stitched the hem. It was curling out annoyingly at the side seams, and pressing didn't make much difference to how it looked:


curled -out hem


Now if this was an expensive fabric I would have taken the time to unpick and do a hand-rolled hem - but to be honest, I was keen to get the slip made-up. So here's my quick fix - I snipped the seam at the start of the hem so it would lie flat when I stitched it. Then I pinned along the side seam on the inside to remove the little kick from the corner like so:
 
side seam pinned



 Here it is on the outside ( with the pins still on the inside)


I then stitched from the hem upwards, blending the stitching back into the side seam, and trimmed off the excess fabric. This is how it now looks :

After adjusting side seam


Not perfect, but better. I have a nice length of the lace left over, so I might add some scallops to the end of the hem, time allowing. I also improvised on the straps - my lace is a purple/black, so I cut some bra straps from an unloved bra that was destined to be used for parts!



They are stitched to the front, so just need to attach them at the back and decide whether to add the lace at the hem. 


Sherry has also added a lovely variation to the first Ruby Slip a narrow lace option with gorgeous gathers under the bust. It's on the to-do list, now that I know my first versions fits perfectly, but I'll do the hem by hand next time!

Sunday, 1 January 2012

Ruby Slip Sew Along

The very talented Sherry over at Pattern Scissors Cloth is hosting a sew along for her Ruby Slip Pattern, which she has made available for free download - head over to her blog for a very detailed how-to.

I decided it would be nice to start the new year with some fun sewing (ie:something for me!!) I'm using a purple slinky satin, and some purple/navy lace that was given to me during the summer.




The Lace is slightly narrower than the reccommended lace, so I've had to do a little workaround for the side bust panels.  It's hardly noticeable and will do fine seeing as this is for me :)

You can see the lace laid over the side bust pattern piece below, I was short a tiny amount of lace for the bottom right corner :



First I cut out the side bust piece using as much of the lace as I could:




Then I lay another piece of lace underneath and stitched along through both layers following the scallop pattern:I used a narrow zig-zag stitch, but it's barely noticeable because of the lace pattern.


I then cut away the lace from behind and trimmed it to fit the paper pattern piece, and did the same for the other side. I then joined all the bodice pieces together and thankfully they matched nicely




Here's a close up of the scallop matching on either side:






But a little itsy bitsy mistake - on the center front - I overlapped the front panels in the wrong direction!!

But I think I can live with it! The skirt is also sewn together and pinned on my model to hang out for the night, but I like the look of it all so far.
The directions given by Sherry are very detailed, and although sewing with lace AND on the bias might be enough to put some sewers off joining in, I think its a great project to try out, especially since it uses so little fabric.




Finished Dice Kayek / Burda 07/2011 (4)

Dice Kayek dress continued.....The Finished dress and Jacket

I made this dress from the designer pattern in the 07/11 Burda Magazine (Dice Kayek dress) 
The final pictures are not great but I think you'll get a good idea of how it all looked together -



Almost all of the photos of me from the wedding are when I'm sitting down, so I'll have to get dolled up another day and get some better pictures of the dress on it's own!

I also made this grey wool jacket in a hurry - it's a record for me!  made in less than a day. I needed a cover up that was warm as it was for a November wedding.  But it also had to be short, so as to sit nicely above the peplum.

It's another Burda Pattern, from the 08/11 issue I think - it had lower panels which I just left off and then shortened it a little to sit exactly where I wanted it to.


And then of course it needed the last finishing touch......


An oversized clutch !













Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...