Showing posts with label costuming. Show all posts
Showing posts with label costuming. Show all posts

Saturday, 2 March 2013

Bishops Palace Costumes

All bag sewing was abandoned for a little while late last year when I got the opportunity to Make some 18th and 19th century costumes for a local tourist attraction. Honestly I was petrified but delighted at the thought of making something so interesting (but a little out of my comfort zone too...!)

The 1740's gown above is being worn by one of the ladies who plays the  'Lady Este'. Lady Este is one of the former occupants of the Bishops Palace, and the tours are conducted by actors & actresses in period - appropriate garb.

Each of the gowns (3 of this style were needed), are made from silk. They are interlined and lined in cotton, so that they are as breathable and comfortable as possible. Below is a picture of the back which has some vertical pleats:

 The overskirt is pleated onto the bodice. The cuffs were gathered slightly and a chiffon frill attached.

The bodice ties to one side of the stomacher (front panel) with hooks which are concealed just under the ivory lace trim . I used some  vertical pleating on the stomacher aswell.

The underskirt is made from a darker purple silk. The side hoops similar to the ones shown here are worn underneath to give shape to the hips of the gown.

The gowns have been getting a great reaction from visitors - they look well in their setting. It's lovely to see them all finished -I'm really chuffed,  don't you think sometimes it's good to take on a new challenge? 

Saturday, 5 January 2013

Some Costume details...

I needed to do some research for the costumes that I made recently - and the picture below is from one of the books I used. It's "Historical Fashion in Detail: The 17th and 18th Centuries" ,that I bought from Amazon.  It's a detail of a cuff that I wanted to use on one of the Gowns.

Image taken from Historical Fashion in Detail: The 17th and 18th Centuries

And here it is below, used on the red and green gown -

And a wider view of the gown on a dressform:

I also embroidered the panel used on the stomacher, after getting the inspiration for the colours and design from the same book. The gown is currently being worn at the Bishop's Palace in Waterford by the character Lady Este. I haven't seen the entire tour/show yet, so I'm really looking forward to seeing the costumes in action! I'll be sure to share some pics of them then :)

Sunday, 9 December 2012

All consuming costuming...

The last few months, I've been working on a very interesting project. Some 18th century gowns were needed for a local tourist attraction, and I was tasked with making them ...eeek! 

There were three dresses to be made, each one different. Made from silk and cotton, so as to be comfortable and breathable.  They needed hip panniers to wear underneath  - these are made from cotton and steel hooping . 

The panniers are worn underneath the underskirt to give shape to the hips. I added fasteners to them , so they can be attached to the waistband of the underskirts. Just in case they started to swivel while being worn! you can see them on the panniers here -

And attached to the underskirt here - 

Each underskirt is made of cotton with a large silk panel to the front. Then an over- dress with an attached, boned stomacher is worn over this.

The gown is made from a crumpled pink silk and sage green floral silk.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...